So you want to learn how to get podcast advertisers, let’s dive in?
After months of research looking for the right niche, you’ve finally created your podcast!
Already, you’re churning out good content and building a mighty audience. You’re certain that now you’re ready to turn your hobby into a lucrative venture. But before you can do anything about it, you come to the following realization:
You have no idea how to get podcast advertisers.
Luckily for you, you’ve come to the right place for answers.
How Much Is a Podcast Ad Worth?
The standard is $18 for a pre-roll ad(15 seconds spot at the beginning of the podcast) and $23-25 for a mid-roll(it is about 60 seconds long and it is generally more free form) advertisement.
How Much Money Can You Actually Earn from a Podcast Advertisement?
Usually, advertisers order both pre-roll and mid-roll. So you as a podcaster will earn $18 + 25 = $43 per 1000 downloads.The baseline for new shows is around 2000 downloads per month.If you are active and publish often then you should get around 6000 downloads.If a show is doing well in iTunes then you may see from 15 000 to 75 000 downloads per episode.
How to Get Podcast Advertisers
Getting a sponsor for your podcast is easier than you would expect. Though the processes are straightforward and almost always effective, other factors can affect your likelihood of getting a sponsor on the first try.
These include your niche, the quality of your content, and most importantly, the size of your audience. We will explore these later on as well but first, let’s look at some of the ways to get podcast advertisers.
Let Your Content Shine
One of the surest of ways to land a sponsorship deal is by producing top-notch content and growing your listener base. It may sound obvious, but most people overlook the importance of consistent quality especially when it comes to building a strong audience.
If you succeed in doing this, then one of two things will happen:
a)Your podcast host will approach you with advertising opportunities.Podcast hosts such as Libsyn routinely contact the shows on their service that perform well to offer advertisement opportunities. By acting as a middleman, the service gets a cut of your earnings.
b)You will be approached directly by an interested sponsor. As said, the quality of your content is enough to attract sponsors to you with lucrative deals.
Unfortunately for some, this takes way longer than they anticipate. In such cases, there is an alternative solution.
Sell The Advertisement Slots Yourself
You can get proactive about getting sponsorship by actively selling ad spots yourself.
For a start, you should listen to podcasts that are similar to yours in order to get insight on the type of sponsors that are interested in your niche. Contacting these sponsors is a matter of dropping them a pitch and inviting them to listen to your show to see whether they can work with it.
You can learn more about Getting Sponsors for Your Podcast from the following video:
Tips for Choosing an Advertiser?
- Only advertise for companies related to your topic and your niche.If they are not related it to your topic it could be a significant disruption.
- No more than two advertisements per show.
- If you recommend companies or products that you are not 100 % sure that they are good and will help out your listeners – do not promote them or learn to love this product first before promoting them.
How to Get Enough Downloads To Attract Advertisers
One of the things that will convince any advertiser to work with you is a high number of downloads. How do you achieve this? By following these simple tips:
- Makegood content– good content is what gets you your first listener and allows your show’s popularity to grow. It is what helps you build up an audience and gets you ranked high in your niche. Content is king.
- Post regularly– most podcasters create new posts at least once every two days. Posting regularly is the surest way to create a fan base quickly and consistently.
- Release each episode in multiple formats– despite being an astonishingly effective strategy, this is one of the most ignored tips. Releasing your show simultaneously on a video platform such as YouTube and on social media increases your downloads dramatically. It also gains you more exposure as you become a presence on multiple platforms.
Popular Podcast Sponsors
The list of podcast sponsors keeps growing as the platform gains more popularity. Some of the best, to name just three, include:
- Hulu+– this is a service that allows people to watch TV shows online
- Draftkings– Draftkings is an online sports betting website
- LifelockUltimate– this sponsor advertises identity protection services
Do different sponsors pay differently? Absolutely. So how do podcasters know what they’re entitled to when they sign a sponsorship deal? We explore that in the next section.
How Much Do Advertisers Pay For Podcast Spots?
Fortunately for podcasters, advertising rates have been standardized. There are two types of podcast advertisements. The first one is called a pre-roll. Pre-rolls are a 15-second spot at the beginning of the podcast that cost a standard rate of $18. Here, the speaker announces that the show is sponsored then mentions a few things about their sponsors.
The second type is known as a mid-roll A mid-roll runs for about 60 seconds in the middle of the show and can sometimes contain scripted messages from the sponsor themselves. These slots cost anything between $23 and $25. Here, the speaker may be allowed to improvise slightly for the sake of authenticity. Getting your listeners to believe that you love the product or service being advertised is very important.
In conclusion, we can say that:
- A podcast with more downloads and a bigger audience is more attractive to advertisers;
- Advertisements should be related to your podcast’s theme for obvious reasons, and;
- Creating consistently good content is the best way to attract sponsors.
The bottom line:
Following these simple guidelines will help you turn your podcast into a rewarding venture.