Google Alerts: How to set up and use them?
An alert is simply a warning or an alarm upon an action. Google alert is a notification service given freely by Google search engine. The service sends alerts or notifications (emails) to the user after getting new results that are similar to the user’s search history. Alerts sent may include blogs, web pages or scientific researchers. The service is non-discriminatory as it is offered to any user. Below are the steps on how to set up and use google alerts effectively.
1. Log in to the google account you want to use.
2. Go to google alerts page which is simple and interactive.
3. Enter the words you want to get notifications from in the search box and the words should be unique because words such as brand names may be noisy by giving many suggestions upon a single search.
4. In the show options button, you can change the following:
- Your language
- Location of the world you want the alerts from
- Number of the results you want to get
- How often you get the alerts
- What accounts should get the results
5. Lastly, set the email address that would receive the alerts and then click create an alert.
From the following video, you can learn: How to set up Google Alerts:
Google alerts can be used to monitor plagiarism and copyright through getting content that may get copied
Input your email into google alerts to know the sites your email is listed
Protecting your reputation
Setting up a google alert for your name or your company’s get you notified when someone mentions it online.
Finding new backlinks
You will get notified of any new backlink to your website
In business, Google alerts can also help you in finding new customers by setting up alerts on phrases or keywords.
Turning citations into links
Tracking whoever mentions your name and ask them to link to you.
Setting up Google alerts for names of your primary competitors to discover the sites linked to them.
Stopping SEO attacks.
Likewise, you can defend your SEO by alerts to discover negative SEO attacks i.e. spam terms alongside your address.
Tracking news or a celebrity or favorite sports as it progresses
Google alert tips.1. using the company’s name and your personal name
2. putting your keywords in quotes e.g. “Nike shoes” and this applies to a company or personal name where you will get alerts if the phrases appear together.
3. Putting a (+) sign in front of the keywords to avoid similarity in spellings
4. Putting (–) sign in front of the words you want to eliminate
5. setting up a google alert for your website URL with no www. To assist you in finding the links to your website
6. trial and error form will help you find the alerts that bring you meaningful information
this helps by putting many alerts at your start of the alerts and you eliminate the irrelevant ones once you get the content brought back
Video Overview: How to Make $100 Per Day With Google Alerts (Easy Step by Step Method)